Creative Writing Experiments (Week 1)

DISCLAIMER: Each week I am going to aim to post one piece of creative writing here, in order to create a small portfolio of my work but to also share it and hopefully improve as the weeks go by.

Week 1-

OPENING SCENE,
The scene opens on a dreary train platform, the sign reads ‘Y Fenni Abergavenny’. It is dark, gone midnight and a small flickering station-lamp illuminates the station. Enter BRADLEY and MORGAN, two students, Bradley is calm and collected whereas Morgan seems flustered.
Morgan:
[rushing ahead] We’ve missed it, we’ve missed it, I told you we would miss it.
Who has a party in the middle of nowhere anyway?

Bradley:
Hardly middle of nowhere and we haven’t missed it. It’s probably just late, they usually are. We can just wait. Unless you fancy walking all the back to Cardiff.

Morgan:
[sighs, shuffling from one foot to the other as if cold and mutters] Hope it’s soon.

Bradley:
Oh come on, cheer up. It wasn’t that bad a night, was it?

Morgan:
Guess not.

Bradley:
What’s up?

Morgan:
Nothing.

Bradley:
Bullshit.

Morgan:
It’s honestly nothing, Brad.

Bradley:
You’re a terrible liar. You think I don’t know you well enough to know when something’s on your mind.

Morgan:
[turns away]

Bradley:
Seriously? That bad, eh? (pauses) Well we just came from a party, right? Well pretend I’m drunk, pretend I’m more drunk. As if I won’t remember whatever you say.

Morgan:
[turns back with a questioning look] But you’re obviously not.

Bradley:
Yeah, well that’s where the pretend comes in. You’d do the same for me.

Morgan:
I suppose, it’s just… it’s hard to say. I--

STATION NIGHT GUARD ENTERS ABRUPTLY

Station Guard:

Bit of a nippy night, eh? You boys waiting for the train back then?

Bradley:
[annoyed] Any other reason we’d be here?

Station Guard:

Well, we get all sorts round ‘ere. I tend not to judge. 

Bradley:
Yeah, sure [turning to Morgan] We really should’ve just stayed over, are you sure you can’t pull a sickie tomorrow?

Morgan:
You already know I can’t so don’t ask, anyway it was your idea to get the train.

Station Guard:
Date night was it?

[Bradley and Morgan talk simultaneously]

Bradley:
[Taken aback] No, nothing like that- We’re not- We’re just friends.

Morgan:
We were just at a party.

Station Guard:
Oh, a party. Nice night, I suppose. My Misses and I would go out to parties, and the like. We’d often end up at the train station squabbling just like you. Some of our best nights were like that, just talking and waiting for the train. It’s amazing what you learn about someone when you just listen. [checks his watch] hmm, train’s late, damned things. You’re welcome to wait here boys, but it may be better to come back in the morning.

Bradley:
[Looks over a Morgan] I think we’re good waiting thanks.

STATION GUARD EXITS LEAVING BRADLEY AND MORGAN SAT ON A BENCH THE LIGHTS GO DOWN AND THE SCENE FADES.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Clockwork Review

The Liebster Awards

Review: Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri